1929

The Woman’s Club of Claymont opened a public lending library in the Claymont Stone School at Darley Road and Philadelphia Pike.

An all-volunteer staff managed a growing collection of donated books.

1940s - 50s

The Stone School was home to both the Claymont Library and the town’s public school kindergarten.

1975

The library’s first professional Librarian was appointed by the New Castle County Department of Libraries, which assumed responsibility for the Claymont Library on July 1.

1988

The Claymont branch moved into the Claymont Community Center.

1997

In May, the Library was destroyed by fire. By October it was relocated within the Community Center.

2013

October 26: Grand Opening of the new library at 400 Lenape Way in Darley Green.

Home | History | Join | Services & Hours | Support | Newsletters | Contact Us | Links